Sunday, August 21, 2011

In Pursuit of Beauty

I have been going to an exercise class 2 or 3 times a week for several weeks.
It is challenging and uses some equipment as part of the class. The class is in a dance studio type room with wood floors, mirrors and a barre.

The equipment consists of a squishy small blue ball, a large foamy blue mat, a stretch-strap, navy blue, a pair of very light black weights (I am up to 3 pounds) a pair of black heavier weights (I am up to 4 pounds) and a coaster for your water bottle. Each piece of equipment is used at a different time during a different part of the "routine."

The majority of the clientele is rather thin and they all, with very few exceptions, have ponytails. I will henceforth refer to them as "The Ponytails." The exceptions are me, the occasional other fat chick and a long suffering young woman who is 8 months pregnant. None of the Ponytails sweat and all of them can do the splits, but many of them suffer greatly from lifting as much as a 2 pound weight.

The only rain in Texas for the last 3 months has come from my body in this class. I am so wet by the end of the class, it makes me fearful to do stretches with my legs wide for fear I  will look like I peed my unfashionable tights. The Ponytails give me a wide berth and probably wish that I was on a coaster.

I've noticed that my legs are much longer than my arms, my butt is to heavy to lift with the leverage of my arms and I can't do a push-up. I am persistant and work hard, but I do not trust my knees or the sturdiness of the barre to do some of the exercises to their fullest extent.

My last class was Saturday morning at 9:00 AM. Fortunately the routine progressed at a fast enough rate that I was able to fake it through the push-ups and did not have time to construct a hang-man's noose out of my stretch strap.

I have lost 5 pounds, which may or may not stay off. I have what some say is muscles and to me just feels like tight fat. If I was your average fat chick, I would have run screaming to the nearest margarita after the first class, but I like shaking up the Ponytail status quo and I still hope to see some results.

More on later -
Love,
Lori

1 comment:

  1. So very proud of you Lori!!! I can completely relate on the whole sweating ordeal.... other people are mildly flushed and rarely sweat in my exercise class. I, on the other hand, have the most beet-red face and people even ask if I am o.k. (must correlate with passing out). Then of course I have the sweaty patterned man-pits and have come to terms with the seat pattern that looks like I didn't quite have time to make it to the bathroom. Even my knees sweat, lol!!! You are not alone my exercise soul sister... I even try to put my hair up and it looks like a piglet tail! Feeling stronger and more alive (after exercising is over of course)is all worth it though for sure. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete